W A R N I N G !


W A R N I N G !

This page is full of non-facts and bullsh!t, (just like the internet and especially forums and other blogs), please do not believe entirely without exercising your intellect. Any resemblance to real things in reality is purely coincidental. You are free to interpret/misinterpret the content however you like, most likely for entertainment, but in no case is the text written on this blog the absolute truth. The blog owner and Blogger are not responsible for any misunderstanding of ASCII characters as facts. *cough* As I was saying, you are free to interpret however you like. *cough*

Thursday, September 30, 2010

What I learnt today: plastic top + passively cooled case = component overheat

Luckily I realized this before the T_junction reached 125°C. Or did it.

I know regulators have over-temperature shutdown, I don't think op-amps have.

So, er, people with acrylic and wood cases, take note. Have some vents at where the heatsinks are, both for intake and exhaust (due to convection - rising hot air).

Strange thing is even with the top open and a bit of forced airflow, the regulators still get warm.

This experience is cautionary for me - I was thinking of putting a T-amp in a picture frame, transparent side facing up of course.

But then again, these Zhaolu DACs run hotter than my T-amps, way hotter.

It was only until Zhaolu D3 when they realized to bolt the regulators to the casing to use the casing as a heatsink, no more temperature problem ever since.

No comments: